On May 25th, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will take effect. In a nutshell, this is basically the European Union’s new data privacy law. It impacts how all companies, big and small, collect and handle personal data about their E.U. customers. It also provides E.U. consumers with more control over their personal data.
What does that mean to you as our Customer?
- We’ve made it easier for you to update your communication preferences
- We’ve reorganized them so they’re simpler to read and understand
- We’ve more clearly set out how we work with our partners and other third parties
What does that mean to you as a Business Owner?
If you run a EU-based business, or if you ever collect, record, store, use or erase personal data from customer or contacts in the E.U., you need to take action! Read more below on the steps you can take to become compliant.
Does it apply to you if you’re not in the E.U.?
It does not, but you can never be too safe! Clients in the E.U. now have expanded rights and can request that their data be deleted, moved, or corrected at any time. You might have a few contacts in your mailing list that reside in the E.U., so in order to stay compliant, you should take measures. If not, there are some pretty hefty fines that could be imposed! Better be safe than sorry!
So what do you do!?
Thankfully, our friends at Mailchimp have released new GDPR-Friendly forms and improved contact management that can help you prepare for the new regulations!
- Go through Mailchimp’s GDPR Guide
- Take note of all the FAQs Mailchimp has answered so far.
- Explore Mailchimp’s new GDPR Tools
How can we help you?
Of course it’s up to you to read up on the laws and ensure that you are following them. As Mailchimp Partners however, we can help you take the required steps to ensure that your Mailchimp mailing list is GDPR compliant. Yes, you may lose some subscribers, but did you really want those anyway? 🙂 Here are the services we offer:
- Setting up your GDPR-Friendly signup form
- Segmenting your list by Marketing Permissions
- Collecting consent from your new contacts (including updating website opt-ins)
- Collecting consent from your existing contacts by sending out a campaign.
Contact us for a full quotation, and act fast before it’s too late!